Summer is here and if like us, you’ve been experiencing some warmer weather it can make you want to switch up from your usual meals. However, you still want to enjoy something with flavour which will keep you satisfied. Many summer salads can leave you hungry and wanting more, we’re all about satisfaction at Voltage Sport. This is why a burrito bowl is a great alternative, plus we love any excuse to eat Mexican food!
Mexican cuisine is one of our favourite go-to choices but here in the UK, there aren’t many Mexican restaurants. We have noticed more and more burrito bars popping up and we love a burrito so you can often find us queuing for a tasty wrap!
We first discovered burrito bars in Southern California. In fact, this is where we’ve had the best Mexican food ever! Next time you’re in SoCal make sure you have as much Mexican food as you can – It’s so good! Later this year, we’re heading back to Mexico so we will see what other Mexican food we enjoy enough to recreate and share with you.
Our Cajun Chicken Burrito Bowl is our take on the classic burrito but for this recipe, we’re ditching the wrap but still keeping the delicious flavour by making your own cajun seasoning as well as homemade guacamole and Pico de Gallo!
Cajun Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 150g wild rice
- 400g diced chicken
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tin black beans
- 1/2 lime to season
- Cajun Marinade:
- 1tsp Wholegrain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch black pepper
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 juice of a fresh lime
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pico di gallo:
- 10 cherry tomatoes finely diced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 small chilli diced
- 2 stalks fresh coriander
- 1/2 juice of a fresh lime
- Fresh Iceberg lettuce to serve.
- 1 - Mix Cajun marinade ingredients together using a postal and mortar
- 2 - Add chicken to marinade and mix together ensuring even coverage of marinade on chicken and leave for 20 minutes
- 3 - Cook rice as per cooking instructions
- 4 - After 15 minutes heat olive oil in a pan on high. Add chicken and cook until all cooked through
- In the meantime:
- 5 - Take guacamole ingredients in a bowl and mash together
- 6 - Take pico di gallo ingredients in a bowl and mix together
- 7 - Drain beans
- 9 - Once rice and chicken are fully cooked create your own burrito bowl! Add the rice to the bottom then add chicken, guacamole, beans, lettuce and pico di gallo. Be creative and have fun!
- 10 - Season with lime and coriander
Have a go at making your own burrito bowl, you can of course change the chicken for another protein and it will still be as delicious. It’s the perfect meal for a post-workout, summer dinner on the patio! We can’t wait to see your own creation, tag us on Instagram using #voltagesport and @voltagesport.
Do you have a favourite Mexican meal you’d like us to re-create? Comment below and we will see what we can come up with!